Tuesday, September 13, 2005

August 4: Fly Home (Jerusalem)

(1) On my last day in Israel, having left Lucy with other family in Haifa, mom and I drove back down to Jerusalem, making some visits along the way - that's as far as I can elaborate on these stops. I have no idea what we saw. Once we arrived in Jerusalem, after getting painfully lost in Bethlehem (which is less than a good idea), we set out for the highlight of the trip, a visit to the Old City. Divided into four quadrants, the Old City is separated by the Jewish Quarter, Muslim Quarter, Christian Quarter, and Armenian Quarter. (map: www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org)

(2) The Western Wall in the Jewish Quarter is the last remaining outer wall from the second temple when it was destroyed by the Romans in 70 A.D.. This wall probably would have been destroyed as well had the Romans not viewed it as being rather insignificant. Of course, the Western Wall is anything but insignificant to those of the faith, as it has become one of the holiest places in Judaism.

(3) Visitors from all over the world come to see the wall, and may take photographs on any day but Shabbat - the sabbath. Over the centuries, so many visitors have come to offer heartfelt prayer at this holy spot that non-Jews began calling it the Wailing Wall. Up close, one will notice tiny pieces of paper, prayers, stuffed into the cracks of the wall. In all the world, there are few experiences so unique as a visit to the Western Wall. (photo: www.terragalleria.com)

(4) Mom and I were separated when we visited the wall, as men and women worship in separate areas. As I was making my way over, I was stopped by an Orthodox man who offered to cover me in tefillin - two small black boxes with black straps attached to them. Jewish men are required to place one box on their head and tie the other one on their arm each weekday morning. Purists hang out by the wall and "suggest" this to tourists such as myself, mostly for the purpose of preserving tradition. Not knowing exactly what he was doing, I just went along with it, and also allowed him to take a photograph for me (clearly, his balance was a little off). Anyway, he tied the tefillin so tightly that I thought I was going to pass out. However, I managed to make my way over to the wall and offered my prayer. The man then removed the straps from my arm and head, and I was ushered away. That's when mom and I became separated in the confusion. Eventually, after quite some time, we found each other near a tunnel. It was time to go. From the Old City, mom drove me back to Tel Aviv to catch my flight home, and returned to Jerusalem for her conference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home