Wednesday, September 14, 2005

August 3: Haifa (Rosh Hanikrah & Akko)

(1) I suppose it would be in order, at this point, to admit that my memory of these last two to three days is terribly hazy. But, believe me... I'm doing my best. The lesson: always keep a journal. Anyway, our first stop on this day's trip was Israel's northwesternmost border at Rosh Hanikrah to explore the blue grotto caves. With stunning cobalt waters lapping up against the stone walls, we truly felt like we were getting a taste for the magic of the Mediterranean.

(2) Every 18 year-old is drafted into the Israeli Army. Men are committed to three years of service, and the women are committed only to two years. Coming from the United States, where our military is all-volunteer, it was startling to see so many young individuals dressed for war. Everywhere we went, from the main strip in Jerusalem to, here, in Rosh Hanikrah, soldiers wander around the streets with surprisingly carefree attitudes. After all, this is something they start preparing for at the age of 16.

(3) So, here's a question: If a young American tourist sticks his leg through the gate between Israel and Lebanon, has he, then, been to both countries? What are the personal accomplishment rules, I wonder, for international travel? Well, I'm certainly not going to give myself credit... but I did make a quality, half-hearted attempt.

(4) Well, Rosh Hanikrah was certainly nice. But what to do next... decisions, decisions. Should I go to Jerusalem, or should I make a run for Beirut? I mean, Jerusalem is nice. But, then again, I've never been to Beirut. Hmm, I wonder - what would Jesus do?

(5) After Rosh Hanikrah, we started heading back for Haifa, planning to stop in Akko for a couple of hours. However, before that, we were able to see some old ruins in the water along the way. This part of Israel truly defies any preconceived ideas one might have of this country. Though I have never been there, I have to imagine that this scenery is similar to that of Greece.

(6) Welcome to Akko. Fortified against the sea, this city has changed hands numerous times throughout its history. The Israelis, of course, claimed it in 1948, the year of her statehood. Though Akko has become somewhat touristy, the fishing village remains a marvelous place to wander. (photo: www.terragalleria.com)

(7) The fortification of Akko includes six walls on three sides of the Med. However, equally intriguing to the city's structure, are its popular religious sites. Having changed hands so many times, Akko boasts not only temples, but the al-Jazzar Mosque and several churches dating from the Crusades. (photo: www.terragalleria.com)

(8) Maybe it's just the man in me, but I have to say that there's nothing better than a good old fashioned cat fight. This photograph was taken moments before these two guys went at it. Mom and I watched for what seemed like a rediculously long time - the fight ended in a draw. Satisfied with the outcome, we drove back to Haifa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home